IBD

Newly Diagnosed

AnnMarieOther
January 31, 2022 in IBD

I need some advice from the community. A friend was just diagnosed with IBD. She is really stressing out as she just finished radiation a month ago. How can I help her? What should I not say? I do not want to scare her but I want to be supportive and help in anyway that would help her through this first stage.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

As a caregiver, my biggest regret is that I didn't wholeheartedly focus on diet with my son. Knowing all the science that is out there now (you just have to look), adapting the right diet can only positively influence the outcome of other supplemental treatments, like pharmaceuticals. I strongly believe that what goes in directly affects how the "machine" operates and what, therefore, comes out.

January 31, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

The only things I'd avoid would be trying to relate to her by way of your own "stomach issues" or any of the other types of things people say when they're trying to be nice, but actually are downplaying some pretty major issues. IBD has a huge range of severity so I always try to not worry until there is something to worry about.

You can help by offering up some activities for any potential doctor visits/testing days. Books/brain puzzles/busy stuff to help pass the time. I have great ideas for if she never needs to have infusions, surgery or gets admitted!

I think the most important thing you can do is be a safe space for her to talk about what's actually going on without shame or the weird judgement that comes along with IBD.

January 31, 2022