IBD

IBD and coffee - what's your go-to?

PMAsince97Expert
Patient
January 11, 2022 in IBD

I love coffee, however there's a part of me that wishes I'd never started drinking it. (Is it healthy ? filled with omega-3s and helps with attention - or is it unhealthy? caffeine is uber addicive and coffee turns your teeth yellow!) Having said that, I do enjoy specialty drinks and the warm tasty hit that so often comes with that robusta dark magic. I never drink it on an empty stomach (the acid is way too powerful in my gut without anything to soak it up) and I have to limit my daily and weekly intake. 

I am curious as to what others with IBD drink, how often and what milk/milk alternatives work best for your gut. 

With coffee drinks being at the crux of so many business and social interactions (at least within many of my circles), I wanted to understand what your coping mechanisms are. 

And are there certain brands or drinks that do not irritate your gut at all?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• ShellyPatient

Hi, I only drink decaf coffee with oat milk (I avoid dairy) and feel fine.

January 11, 2022
  • KarinLyfePatient

I think coffee irritates most people w sensitive tummies! I can’t have it unless I drench it with lactose free milk…

January 12, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

The coffee question is a tough one. My son loves his morning coffee and it doesn't seem to aggravate his stomach too much. But it appears to travel through him faster than it would someone like me (who still has a non-diseased colon), so he has to carefully monitor what time and with what frequency he has his coffee. It's definitely a person-by-person matter.

I know this wasn't necessarily helpful, but I wanted to put my two cents' in. :-)

January 12, 2022
  • invisibleUCPatient

I drink Folgers and have been getting away with using creams lately. I have done almond milk creams and powdered. Its been a trial and error road.

January 18, 2022
  • PMAsince97Expert
    Patient

I've found that (with some food in my stomach), having espresso with some steamed milk (oat/almond,cream), that there are less fluid oz to digest than if I had a large cup of coffee. Goes down tastier too!

January 18, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I love to drink coffee and can generally tolerate it pretty well but if you can't do coffee and still want to be able to hang at cafes, I'd suggest switching to herbal teas. My go to is always mint tea. Herbal teas don't have the caffeine that coffee and black teas have so it still lets you go hang out but without running the risk of upsetting your stomach.

January 24, 2022