IBD

Positive Perspectives/Discoveries of ourselves as a Chronic Illness Patient or Caregiver

invisibleUCPatient
Updated June 7, 2022 in IBD

Make no mistake in my awareness that dealing with IBD or any chronic illness sucks and is a serious life changing thing that completely changes you and alters your life but I want you to think about if there anything positive that you feel you discovered about yourself that may be as a result of dealing with your diagnosis or caring for someone with IBD? I was officially diagnosed my freshman year of college 17 years ago.

I feel that I became more aware of my surroundings and my discernment for the people that I allow in my space. I realized how mentally tough and resilient I am too. I am very aware of invisible illnesses and how there are so many people battling things they don't wear on there shoulders and to have grace and understanding that you don't know what's going on with other people. It has helped me be a better person with an open mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Your last paragraph is on point. I have helped manage my son's UC since his childhood diagnosis (he's now 23), and I feel the same way you expressed. :-)

January 10, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I completely agree. I also think that on the flip side, having a chronic illness has helped me to see when it's ok to not power through. I used to confused "resilience" with "unbreakable" and let that become part of my identity. I do a much better job of recognizing when resilience is needed and when its ok to just feel the feelings I need to deal with.

January 24, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

@Jackie_Z That's definitely a skill that takes honing - recognizing when to fight and when to give in and just take care of yourself. Imagine how hard that is for kids going through this, or their parents, who innately feel the need to "make everything better". But to your point, being resilient does not mean you are unbreakable. And I would take resilience over toughness anyday.

January 31, 2022
  • KatelynPatient

Wasn't it you who said at one of the GWG retreats that we sometimes need to just sit and have that big cry, so long as we don't stay there?? If not, someone said that at one of those retreats, and it really stuck with me. I've had a few times where I've had to allow myself to break. I'd get that big, ugly cry out of my system, feel all of the bad feelings, and then move on. It's emotional healing in its own really ugly way, and it's a skill that extends far beyond emotionally processing what goes on with IBD.

Outside of all of that, I think having IBD has taught me to prioritize my health (physical and mental), to have more empathy for others, and to realize how incredibly strong I am. It's also been an incredible "jerk" filter. The people who are worth my time and effort have been there beside me (whether that's friends or potential partners), whereas the ones who aren't true friends quickly showed their true colors. I think it's a huge blessing to know who your real friends are vs are not.

February 1, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

@Katelyn not trying to blow smoke up your behind, as many would say, but I love the way you express yourself. And as a writer, when I respect that in a person, in conjunction with the message they are expressing, it really makes me like them. So I know I don't know you personally, but I like you!

February 1, 2022
  • KatelynPatient

@Wendy_L Aww, thank you so much! That's so sweet of you! 💜 I've loved what you've had to say here on the platform, too!

February 2, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

Not sure if I said that, but it sounds like something I'd say. If it wasn't me, I 100% agree with the sentiment!

February 2, 2022