IBD

Who can you talk to about IBD/poop issues?

MollyPatient
December 2, 2021 in IBD

Recently, I listened to an episode of the podcast Invisibilia titled: "poop friends."

It was really touching, and there was a lot I could relate to, especially the last story. It made me reflect on who I can and can't talk to about my IBD/ostomy issues without a filter. I'm so grateful for my IBD community and friends where I can talk about ANYTHING. I'm also lucky to have some non-IBD friends who I don't have to filter myself with.

Who do you have with whom you can talk openly and honestly? Who do you have to filter yourself around?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

Such a great question. I am most honest with my other IBD friends. It just feels like a safer space. I am very honest with my husband, but I think I do shield him sometimes. It's not that I'm worried he will react poorly, its more that I don't want him to be sad.

December 2, 2021
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

I love this post because it actually makes me smile. My family has always been saddled with poop issues that we talk about it so openly. As a result, I've had to raise my kids to learn NOT to talk so openly about poop with just anyone. They are 23 and 20 years old now and still a work in progress, not completely able to filter themselves. But all I can do is smile.

December 3, 2021
  • MollyPatient

I totally get that. It's hard when the people around you are so sad and worried about you and they can't do anything to fix the problem. All they can do it be supportive and love you.

December 6, 2021
  • RachelJPatient

IBD friends, & we get detailed! Lol

December 13, 2021