Ulcerative Colitis

If your UC is in remission, how often do you get scoped?

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
December 2, 2021 in Ulcerative Colitis

I have a jpouch and I know we're supposed to go annually to get a pouchoscopy....but I'm not great about it.

Do you stay up on annual scopes if you're in remission?

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Other Answers

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

My son definitely gets a sigmoidoscopy annually. He still has 6 inches of rectum, which is why he gets that particular procedure. As a mom, I make sure he schedules it - remission or not.

December 2, 2021
  • kerrybPatient

I got my first j-pouch scope done last year and when I tried to schedule it for this year, they actually told me I didn't need to do it until the 3-year mark if I wasn't having any issues! 🤷‍♀️ I was a little surprised but considering I did the first one without anesthesia, I can stand to wait ... 😅

December 2, 2021
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

My guess is that the pouch scope may be different from a sigmoidoscopy? Since my son still has some diseased rectum, they still want him going annually.

December 2, 2021
  • kerrybPatient

Yep, that would be my understanding! I got a proctocolectomy so there's not much left to look at other than the pouch itself.

December 2, 2021
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

Perhaps. I only have about 3cm of rectum left. So if Kerry's doc is correct...then I'm still a few years out of date!

December 2, 2021
  • jlevitatsPatient

I'm fortunate and grateful to have achieved remission last month! Almost 10 years after my initial diagnosis. In that scope my doctor discovered polyps (benign) and internal hemorrhoid's, so she said I should get scoped every 2 years.

December 6, 2021
  • MollyPatient

When I had my colon, I usually got scoped every year. In the 5 1/2 from getting my ostomy to getting my proctectomy, I think I had my rectum and ileostomy scoped 3 times.

I just had my proctectomy in February and am not sure how often I should have my ileostomy scoped. That's something I will message my surgeon and GI about...

December 13, 2021