Ulcerative Colitis

Auto-immune comorbidities

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
August 9, 2022 in Ulcerative Colitis

Has anyone had experience with co-occurring auto-immune issues/diseases alongside UC or Crohn's? My mother had UC in her youth, but her full proctocolectomyt cured her and she has lived her entire adult life with an ostomy bag. Still, she suffers from alopecia and, as of several years ago, lost all her hair. She also lost her thyroid due to Hashimoto's disease.

What are your experiences?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

I have Crohn’s-induced arthritis but it only flares when my Crohn’s disease is flaring. Sometimes joint pain is among my first symptoms of a flare.

September 5, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Interesting. My mother also had arthritis in her adolescence concurrent with her UC flares, but not afterwards; it was the Hashimoto's and the alopecia that got to her later in life.

September 5, 2022
  • ibdxnathalieExpert
    Patient

I also have Crohn's induced arthritis and it flares even in remission, but I had a similar experience as Lauren. When I was first diagnosed before I even experienced GI symptoms, my first symptoms were joint pain too, I wouldn't receive a diagnosis for enteropathic arthritis until years later though. Crazy stuff!

September 26, 2022