IBD

Sexual Side Effects of IBD

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
June 22, 2022 in IBD

Hey, Hi, Hello there uncomfortable topic :)

Was anyone really told about the potential sexual side effects of living with IBD or from having surgery?

I feel like this was the number one thing that I was not educated enough about. They told me lots of times how surgery might impact fertility but it was never really discussed otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AnnMarieOther

Very interesting topic @Jackie_Z because every illness has this issue but rarely talked about

June 23, 2022
  • LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

Wow, such an interesting point that we're told how these things impact fertility but not sexuality.

I find that mental health providers are much more willing to discuss these topics.

June 23, 2022
  • ownyourcrohnsPatient

Nope, and to add to this, no one ever talks about pelvic floor physical therapy, which can actually help to minimize those sexual issues that can develop from longstanding IBD and/or colorectal surgery.

June 24, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Great point. Pelvic floor issues are also VERY common with women who've had vaginal births after age 30, so getting docs to talk more about this issue would benefit EVERYONE!

June 24, 2022
  • ownyourcrohnsPatient

Honestly, even for men and for women who haven't gone through childbirth. Pelvic floor dysfunction is very common amongst both IBD and IBS patients.

June 24, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

There were so many things I was never told about IBD and my surgeries as they relate to sexual function, reproduction, pelvic floor function, core strength...I could go on and on.

I've always said that, in my experience, my surgeon was concerned with keeping me alive....anything other than that, didn't seem to matter. Mental health, sexual health, day to day quality of life post op...none of that was ever considered.

June 27, 2022
  • ownyourcrohnsPatient

Completely agree, @Jackie_Z. My surgeon and care team were just focused on keeping me alive. Do I wish I knew more? Sure. But did I have the wherewithal at that stage with how severe my condition was? No. Hindsight is always 20/20.

June 27, 2022