I have gotten 3 shot so far and am considering a 4th (I am immunocompromised due to taking Stelara). Not sure what to do. Anyone else in this boat?
I know some IBD patients on biologics who have had 4 injections - 2 at first, then the additional dose for immunocompromised folks, then a booster. I also know some who have just had the standard two and then the booster. Seems docs and advice vary, and here is the CCF’s info:
Thanks for sharing!
It's my understanding that immunocompromised patients are encouraged to have 3 shots and 1 booster. I actually just learned this myself a few weeks ago. I have done the 3 full doses but didn't get a booster yet.
Thanks Jackie. Like you, I've done 3 shots but no 4th yet.
@Shelly did you end up going for that 4th shot?
No. Interestingly my gastroenterologist suggested I hold off.
Interesting. Did they give you any insight that you can share with us about that?
She felt that there were more unknowns than knowns about continued use of boosters and that the pandemic has now evolved to an endemic in the US which will soon require annual injections like flu vaccines. And with all the variants breaking through, that I was well protected with three shots. And it just so happens that I tested positive for Covid 2 days ago and my symptoms so far are quite mild.
Oh no, I hope they stay mild and you get better soon.
@Shelly @Jackie_Z @invisibleUC thought you might like to see this. . .from summaries from @ownyourcrohns (thank you!!) and Dr. Rubin of the American Gastroenterology Association's DDW session on this topic from these past few days. . .
Digestive Disease Week filled with lots of info and cutting edge research. . .exciting to see where so much is headed. . . .including Intestinal Ultrasound (another forum) and lots more. . .
Looks like the verdict is 3 doses for most living with IBD. . .
Thanks for sharing. Nice to know they are consistent with what I heard from my Gastro and PCP. To good health!
Thank you for sharing, Liat!
You got it! There will be varying opinions out there for some time, especially until that once a year vaccine is determines, and possibly multifactorial aspects to those opinions, including increase rates of cases in locale and personalized considerations for the individual patient. Referring to one's trusted team / provider with an open discussion is what I find most helpful.
I have some articles on this and am happy to help with any questions around this topic: