Ulcerative Colitis

Steroid Side Effects

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
Updated April 20, 2022 in Ulcerative Colitis

Twice this year I've been given a steroid dose pack for a cough, not IBD related. But the last time, each time I take the steroid, I have this weird side effect. It's almost like feeling car sick, too much caffeine and nausea. It's a low dose steroid, and I've never experienced this before but it's made it difficult to time my day because I have to make sure I eat, then I have to make sure I'm not driving. It's awful.

Anyone else have this or any ideas to get around these side effects?

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Oh wow. No idea, unfortunately. I hate steroids! I know they are necessary at times and serve a purpose, but oh my. I'm sorry you're managing this side effect. Maybe others here will have some good advice. 🤞

April 18, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I don't know why I'm surprised. Steroids do such crazy things to our body. I've had steroid psychosis before and awful withdrawal in the past when I was on high dose steroids during a flare. They really are no joke, despite how frequently they are been prescribed.

April 19, 2022
  • LightsCameraCrohnsExpert
    Patient

Steroids are the worst! Maybe taking Zofran would counteract that side effect...more meds, but could help with the nausea/car sick feeling.

May 4, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

That's a good idea. I don't know why I always forget about Zofran these days.

May 4, 2022
  • MelodyPatient

Is it budesonide? Perhaps not, if it was for a cough and not IBD. But I had the symptoms you describe from budesonide, and my GI ended up deciding I was allergic.

May 7, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

It was Methylprednisolone...and I don't feel like I've had that problem before but wouldn't that be some irony...being allergic to Pred now after all these years lol.

May 9, 2022