Ulcerative Colitis

J-pouch Life Span

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
February 3, 2022 in Ulcerative Colitis

When my son had his J-pouch surgery in 2012, he was told that, at that time, the longest that J-pouches tended to last before developing recurring failure issues was about 10 years. As you can imagine, I am deeply concerned because we are now officially in that 10-year deadline.

Those of you with a J-pouch, have your surgeons possibly offered you a more positive outlook/prediction? Or do any of you know about improvements in the surgical technology/techniques that could help my son save his, should it fail?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

How ironic that I posted that question. Here I am today saying that my son's lasted 10 years. He is presently undergoing surgery for complications.

February 6, 2022
  • AnnMarieOther

Wendy, we are thinking about your son. Please keep us updated!

February 7, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I am officially at 11 years with mine and still going very strong. Candidly I'm not sure I fully believe those stats from your surgeon. I'm not a surgeon, obviously, but I do a lot of people with jpouches. I have met people with jpouches that are well over 20 years old. I think old surgery techniques commonly resulted in jpouch failure early on, also lots of jpouches done for people with Crohn's also may factor into those stats. In my mind, my jpouch will live forever until I have reason to believe it won't.

February 21, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

This is very nice to hear. My concern is that maybe since his was built when he was a child barely at 5 feet tall and is now a man at a solid 6 feet tall, that's why they made the prediction. But I will stick to the optimistic side for now. :-)

February 21, 2022