IBD

Advocating through the holidays

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
December 22, 2021 in IBD

On Dec. 21st, Jackie_Z and Lyfebulb discussed this topic during the Lyfebulb Live on Facebook. I wanted to include my summary of that chat and then ask you all to contribute as well. :-)

Here is my takeaway from the chat:

• Stress during the holidays can trigger chronic illness symptoms, even if it’s weeks after the fact. Relapses can happen, so you have to remember to treat yourself well so that you don’t fall out of remission. If you don’t take care of yourself, you normalize the sick stuff and don’t realize you’re really ill until the big stuff hits. By NOT pushing yourself, you will actually become more resilient.
  • Find the moments when you can be free of that feeling of chronic illness. Consciously appreciate them.
  • Remove the pressure of always being there for other people as their advocate. There are plenty of advocates out there. Let them pick up the slack.
  • When you’re feeling good, you can feel that your story doesn’t matter anymore. If so, step back. Participate in others’ posts if you want, or do nothing. You could even share other people’s stories.
  • Self-advocacy involves continuing to eat well during the holidays despite what guests offer. And you don’t have to drink the alcohol, just because everyone else is. Don’t feel pressured if you know you’ll feel bad afterwards. And if you want to go home before everyone else does, go home. Nobody knows your body like you do.

What other advice would YOU offer?

Here is the link to watch the Live chat: https://fb.watch/a3fGrTyOf0/