Ulcerative Colitis

Sleep Issues with J-pouch

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
Updated December 7, 2021 in Ulcerative Colitis

I'm curious to know if anyone has tips for managing sleep disruptions with a J-pouch. My son has to get up a few times throughout the night and that interrupts his sleep, which is already delicate due to mental health issues and OCD thinking. He tries to minimize fluid intake as the day progresses, but of course that is counter-productive to the need to stay hydrated. Advice?

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• kerrybPatient

Just to check, is he having to empty his bladder, not his j-pouch, during the night, and that's what's causing the disruption?

November 30, 2021
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

How long has he had his Jpouch?

If it's new: It can take a year + for it to settle enough to hold it longer than a few hours.

If it's now new: It might just be part of how his jpouch works, which isn't ideal at all. I always go to the bathroom RIGHT before I go to bed and RIGHT when I wake up. I also typically poop whenever I pee during the day, which is probably easier for those of us who sit to pee. I find that if I just let it go whenever I have the chance, there is just less in there over all.

He could try to set an alarm at night, which again, isn't ideal. But then he could control what time he wakes up, can go to the bathroom, and in theory go back to sleep soundly.

December 2, 2021
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

His pouch is already 9 years old, so this just might be how he works. And because he is male, he obviously does not sit to pee, but I'll suggest it to him to help empty more frequently. Thanks.

December 2, 2021
  • RachelJPatient

I would stop eating at 8pm at night then I would get up once per night.

December 2, 2021