IBD

IBD and skin issues

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
July 18, 2022 in IBD

Do you any of you suffer from dermatitis or psoriasis along with IBD? I know they are auto-immune reactions and so it makes sense, but my son has such a hard time maintaining healthy skin on his abdomen and hands, mostly. Can anyone recommend some holisitic/home treatments? He already has a prescription creme from the doc, but he's kind of anti-meds.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• ownyourcrohnsPatient

Hey Wendy, how is he treating his Crohn's? I'll be honest treating the Crohn's usually with a biologic that also treats psoriasis is the way to go. These are progressive conditions that should not be left untreated. I had tons of skin issues from erythema nodosum, pyoderma gangrenosum, Sweet's syndrome and hidradenitis suppurativa and once I got on Stelara and my Crohn's was better controlled, the skin issues went away. Hope that helps!

July 20, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

He actually has UC and does not take any meds for it since he has a J-pouch. That's why I'm seeking holistic remedies ;-)

July 21, 2022
  • ownyourcrohnsPatient

Ah my bad. I have friends with a j-pouch who have psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis. They’ve unfortunately had to go back on biologics. The autoimmunity still remains after colectomy even when the problem organ is gone. I don’t know of any holistic remedies that I’ve heard work for psoriasis specifically.

July 21, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult