Ulcerative Colitis

Cheat Day

Wendy_LExpert
Care Partner of Adult
June 8, 2022 in Ulcerative Colitis

Someone I follow on Insta posted about the dangerous concept of a dietary cheat day, and I'm curious to hear the community's take on it.

I've always believed that "cheating" with food that we know is bad for us is not fun. I see it a way to punish ourselves, not reward ourselves. Sure, we might enjoy the moment, the pleasure of that food we love so much but know will hurt us. Then we suffer and groan to ourselves, "What was I thinking?" Then it takes time for our bodies to clear the toxic substances before we really feel good again.

What have your experiences been?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• Liat_SCare Partner of Child

Ha, I believe I saw the same post and it got me thinking as well.

As a care partner that is always something I work on, in terms of delivery, as it is not my body nor my disease. I have found that, as with other areas in their journey, I may offer the resources to my loved ones and that, even then, having the awareness, insight and connection to your body that you have as you stated it, @Wendy_L comes with experiencing individual consequences following choices one may know on a cerebral level may not be the best for them are embodied. As does each individual's place with it all and how much they are willing to sacrifice in the trade off of such "fun" cheat.

Notwithstanding flares, strictures, etc and based on the individual, I believe that focusing on and having available what one can have rather than what they can't helps this process out. "Fun" alternatives to various craved foods that may elicit the response that you describe that are eventually equally savored. Essentially, each individual, aside from the psychological aspect of food and eating (such as the punishing etc that you bring up) also has a unique palate and passion for food/s and self regulation. It's a process though once the difference in choices of foods are felt as well as alternative "cheat" food are found for the individual, I have seen that, while it doesn't mean they will never touch the "cheat" food that may elicit an unwanted response, there will be a lot less of that.

One example, being popcorn at movies with his friends was something my son had to experience, though only once, thankfully, to stay away from. We have found alternatives that he savors and enjoys even more so over time that he looks forward to taking with him when going to a move theater as his fun cheat that doesn't need to come with consequences for days to follow.

June 8, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

@Liat_S, this part where you said: "Fun" alternatives to various craved foods that may elicit the response that you describe that are eventually equally savored.

That is how I go about it and how I encourage my son to also approach it. I've found some wonderful recipes for "sweets" that are suitable for those on an anti-inflammatory diet but still something that shouldn't be eaten on an everyday basis. Instagram is great for those types of recipes :-) Perhaps in another post, I'll share those recipes.

June 9, 2022
  • Liat_SCare Partner of Child

@Wendy_L that would be great! . . . always on the lookout for recipes and ideas. Will look forward to it. :))

June 9, 2022
  • AnnMarieOther

I am looking forward to these recipes @Liat_S !! Always love some new ideas

June 21, 2022