IBD

Innovation vs. Reliable Treatment

IbraKPatient
Updated April 28, 2022 in IBD

When I was first diagnosed, I turned to research and innovations that were coming down the pipeline. It was really one of my main focus areas in addition to finding others who looked like me in this space. However, as I have progressed with my IBD, I have turned less to innovation but held tight to the network I built. I think it might be about being on a treatment that affords me some stability that I had before the diagnosis. Do your experiences with innovation and research mirror mine? Or has your interest grown over the years, months, or days since a diagnosis? If so, what innovations keep you coming back?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

I get where you're coming from, @IbraK, and I think there's a delicate balance to be practiced between honoring the good ol' standby treatment and being open to innovative treatments. The difficulty with innovaion is that it takes time to prove itself. And the problem with the existing treatment could be that it's not doing the trick anymore. Hence, the need to weigh pros and cons in this ever-evolving management of UC and Crohn's.

Will be curious to see others' take on the matter.

April 28, 2022
  • KatelynPatient

I'm right there with you. When I was first diagnosed and in all of the years that it took to get the "right" treatment, I was really tapped into news about various innovations. I was so sick that anything new was interesting because it held the promise of a better future. But a handful of years ago, I got to a point where my remission felt really strong and steady, and my interest in innovations waned. Unless it's something that seems like it would be an actual cure and not just a treatment, I have a hard time getting invested in that news. Obviously, I cheer for every innovation because I have friends who need new treatment options, but on a very selfish level, I'm not so invested anymore. I probably should be, but it's hard when I'm in such a solid place and don't even want to think about "rocking the boat," so to speak, with my own treatment.

May 2, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

I hear what you both are saying, but I fear it's easy to get complacent when things are going well. Not staying informed can have detrimental effects when the proverbial **** hits the fan again, which it does for so many, and we're in panic mode trying to catch up with technology and better available treatments out there.

That is why one of my jobs here at IBDLyfe is to post about innovations. :-)

May 2, 2022