IBS

Sleep and diarrhea

KarinLyfePatient
December 2, 2021 in IBS

Does any have issues sleeping due to diarrhea? Scared to fall asleep?

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AnnMarieOther

I don’t live with IBD but having MS can either leave you with diarrhea or constipation because of muscle control or lack of. Unfortunately I live in constant constipation. Which does affect my sleeping.

December 2, 2021
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

The best bet, IMO, is to prepare for the worst so you can tell your brain that you've covered all your bases.

Lay down towels or get some hospital chucks (these look a lot like puppy pee pads) and sleep on those. They make clean up really easy, and quick so you can get back to sleep.

I think the biggest thing is just accepting that an accident might happen, and having the right steps/plans in place to recover from that accident quickly and efficiently so you can let it go and get some sleep.

If you're up all night because of the diarrhea, then I would suggest maybe something to slow the motility down before bed. Things that thicken like peanut butter, oatmeal, bananas, or Imodium, can help just slow you down and hopefully retain better control.

December 2, 2021
  • MollyPatient

Adult diapers can provide peace of mind day or night. When things are rough, I have turned to them. It makes everything so much easier. I never planned to crap my pants, but if I did, I could just go to the bathroom and change out of the diaper. They are also low profile enough that as long as you aren't wearing leggings nobody will know.

December 2, 2021
  • RachelJPatient

Mattress cover. I tore my old one up!

December 13, 2021