Care Partner of Adult

Guided Meditation

LilmesicanOther
February 22, 2022 in Care Partner of Adult

When I was diagnosed with **** cancer, before I started treatment, I knew I was going to need the support of my friends. So I reached out to them to help me put together a series of guided meditations.

I was fortunate to be part of an intuitive/empath mastermind so it was easy for them to come up with a mediation that would help me stay grounded, centered, and release stress. A 5-minute guided meditation helped before I arrived at the clinic.

Over my years as a Spiritual Coach and Reiki Master I have discovered that some of the best-guided meditation come from those that know us best. Family, partners, and friends know what pushes our buttons and how to walk us off a mental ledge.

Guided meditations can be created by following some simple steps.

1. Acknowledge where you are physical: space, smells, sounds.
  2. Recognize what you are feeling: fear, stress, anger.
  3. Go on a journey: walk, fly, run.
  4. Point out: people, places, things that bring calmness, happiness, joy.
  5. Return: Bring your mind back to where you started.

You might not reach 5 minutes at first or you may go over, it's all good. With time you will learn to adjust to the time you need.

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

Oh thank you for posting this, buddy!

I love a guided meditation and find them so relaxing and helpful to help clear my mind and calm anxiety.

February 24, 2022
  • IbraKPatient

Thanks for this resource! @Lilmesican Every time that I've tried to meditate I get so distracted after a couple seconds! Do you have any guidance on how to progressively hold onto the calm mind? Is it just repetition and persisting through the distractions or do you have any other guidance? Looking forward to trying this out!

March 9, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I always try to see the distraction, like in my mind I picture it as a floating thing through my brain. I go ok, thats a thing thats on my mind, and then try to get back to the meditation itself. It's hard and takes practice for sure.

March 9, 2022
  • LilmesicanOther

I find it difficult to keep my mind clear for a long time, especially if I'm sitting in a quiet space. I tend to grow superpowers where I can hear every single sound in a 10-mile radius!!! (sound familiar?)

I've learned to meditate while doing something that can keep me calm. I have a bouncy ball game on my phone that will keep my mind focused. Some folks knit, run, or even cooking can help in meditating.

Then there are times when I can listen to a guided meditation for 30 minutes without trouble. Overall, it should be relaxing, if you are stressing about meditating then we can find something else that will help you relax.

I hope that answers your question. 🤗

March 9, 2022
  • IbraKPatient

Thank you so much for the response! You're right, I think I am stressing a lot about meditating. Counterintuitive 😂 I'll try to brainstorm and will try again with hopefully more luck!

March 10, 2022
  • KatelynPatient

@IbraK I think it's worth remembering that it's okay to have "monkey mind" (aka getting distracted) when you meditate. It's pretty normal, and as you practice it more, I think it gets easier to at least accept that it's happening. I find that it helps me if I acknowledge the thought and then let it go, kind of like what Jackie described. I also find that guided meditations where I can focus on the words help me to keep my mind from going a thousand different directions. Alternatively, focusing on my breath "in, out, in, out" or counting in cycles of 4 helps me, too.

March 14, 2022