IBS

Dehydration and IBD/IBS

KarinLyfePatient
December 2, 2021 in IBS

This is a real issue - it is hard to stay hydrated and alert when you have constant diarrhea / how do you stay hydrated and well nourished???

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• kerrybPatient

After I had my colon removed, hydration was a huge concern for me - I had a lot of success when I was building a routine by using water bottles that had hourly markings, so I could have a visual aid for if I started falling behind on my hydration. 😅 I'd give myself a goal in oz. for the day and keep filling up the bottle as needed! I know some people are not big on flavorless water, so I've heard of some people using electrolyte packets to give it more taste and also help with loss of nutrients.

December 2, 2021
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Kerry's advice is great. My son also uses Pedialyte occasionally for those days he just can't keep up. He says it energizes him immediately.

December 2, 2021
  • kerrybPatient

Yes, Pedialyte is great! I've also done G2 Gatorade, which is their lower sugar product, and can also be good for electrolytes.

December 2, 2021
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I swear by SmartWater (or similar brands).

December 2, 2021
  • KatelynPatient

I love DripDrop for alleviating dehydration. That stuff has been a lifesaver for me!

One thing I've found is that I do have to look at the ingredients on flavored drinks. Some artificial sweeteners, like the ones used in Bai water, can trigger symptoms for me and make the problem worse, so I avoid those.

December 2, 2021
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

I had never heard of DripDrop before now. Where is it sold? My son could really use this.

December 2, 2021
  • KatelynPatient

Here's a link to a store locator from DripDrop. https://shop.dripdrop.com/apps/store-locator

I've bought mine at CVS and Walgreens in the past, but you can also order online through DripDrop or Amazon. I hope he finds it beneficial!

December 2, 2021