Ulcerative Colitis

Working through blockages at home

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
February 15, 2022 in Ulcerative Colitis

I've had a handful of small blockages over the years since getting my jpouch, one of which I was hospitalized for and spent 4 days in the hospital but I was able to avoid surgery. For that one, I woke up in the middle of the night in severe pain and after a few hours trying at home to work it out, I eventually went in to the ER.

On Monday I got another blockage but this time was very different because I was awake and then it just hit me. It was like an all of a sudden pain, then the nausea came. This type of pain doesn't happen often for me anymore so I knew something was wrong. I immediately stopped food intake, started drinking hot tea and grabbed my heating pad. I spent most of the day in bed trying to sleep through the pain.

The paid did subside and I could tell that things had started to move a little because I could hear/feel bowel sounds and I was able to start passing mostly liquid but it was going.

Today I'm still on hot liquids with no solids. I can tell that its getting better but it's still not fully 100%. I was really happy to not have to go into the ER for this because the ER sucks, but especially the ER in the time of Covid. I also got to avoid the dreaded NG tube.

Not all blockages can get solved at home, but I feel really fortunate that I was able to work on this one without going to the ER. I still have that feeling of being afraid to eat almost anything at this point but I just keep trying to tell myself to go extra slow. I did 4 days without food last time with the NG tube, so I figured I should probably use that as a guide.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Wow. Given the timing of my recent emergency with my son - which did not go as well as your blockage seems to be doing - I really feel for you. I'm so glad your home remedy seems to be helping. I had heard that caffeine and liquids and heating pad were the first courses of action, but they did nothing for my boy. (We already know why, of course.) I'd say not to worry about how many days you go without food. Do what feels right for your body; we are shockingly more durable than we think when it comes to not eating. The body has nutritional stores that it can pull from for several days if necessary, especially when healing is required. In fact, there are several scientific studies showing the BENEFITS of fasting when trying to heal the body. Nobody knows your body better than you, right?

February 15, 2022