IBD

High deductible health care plan

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
February 8, 2022 in IBD

My husband just got offered a new job but they only health care plan they offer is a HDHP and I'm....nervous.

I always pay a boat load in monthly premiums to avoid the high deductible because I just always assume I'm going to hit the deductible.

But in the last few years, I haven't. I've been in relatively good health.

How do you evaluate this as an option? Is it worth passing on the job?

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

@Jackie_Z I see nobody has responded to this one, and quite honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do either. I suppose you have to do some rough math and then have your husband be honest with himself about how he feels about this job. Dare I suggest that true job satisfaction might outweigh the extra out of pocket expenses for you? I really don't know, but I DO know that being unhappy in a job won't make up for a small savings in health insurance.

February 16, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

That's exactly the approach we took. Started with the numbers, full well knowing that insurance numbers are hard to predict but then changed the focus to job satisfaction. We're really lucky that we can afford some extra monthly costs but I still worry about that big deductible. Hopefully we won't need it!

He did decide to take the job and I think it will be a good fit. He really supported me when I took a leap and started my own business, so I'm really passionate about making sure he is happy and inspired in his career.

February 17, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Your last sentence says it all. Even if the job, in the end, doesn't work out (which, of course, I hope it does!), you both made the decision thinking of the other. Teamwork is more valuable than money.

February 17, 2022
  • LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

It's a cancer-related organization, not IBD, but Triage Cancer has some amazing resources related to choosing insurance. Here's their health insurance comparison worksheet: https://triagecancer.org/Worksheet-HealthInsurance

But honestly all of their resources are amazing.

July 6, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

You point out something important: just because a resource is not directly related to IBD does not mean it cannot be helpful to our community. Thanks for sharing!

July 6, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

I love a good worksheet! Great resource.

July 6, 2022
  • LaurenEBExpert
    Patient

They have great info on FMLA, Medicare, etc. too. Really wonderful resource for all the legal technicalities of chronic illness.

July 6, 2022
  • Liat_SCare Partner of Child
  • Liat_SCare Partner of Child

Love this! Rooting for you both and for a win win outcome!!

July 11, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

So far Adam LOVES his job and our insurance has been ok. I did hit the deductible super fast, but I'm on a copay assistance program for my infusion, so that actually covered the deductible for me. It worked out pretty well actually.

July 11, 2022