IBD

Medial PTSD

Jackie_ZExpert
Patient
February 7, 2022 in IBD

Can we just talk about medical PTSD for a minute?

When I was fresh out of surgery, I felt PTSD almost every time I walked into a doctor's office or the hospital. It was overwhelming each and every time. Now that I'm years out it's not as common but that means when it hits, I'm not prepared for it.

I recently had to do some medical testing for things that aren't IBD related and the moment I walked in my heart started racing, I had all kinds of flashbacks to similar testing in the past. It's a terrible feeling.

I had to internally talk myself down. It helps that I can logically identify when I am safe and not in a medical emergency, but the nervous system doesn't always know.

Any tips for when this happens? How to do get through it?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Oh my gosh, this is my son's exact issue. And, as I just came to realize less than 48 hours ago, mine too when it comes to his urgent medical situations. I think being aware of why you're feeling this and being able to logically talk yourself down is the best thing you've got going in managing this issue. My son is highly sensitive and on the autistic spectrum, so it's sometimes a battle he cannot win.

February 7, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

You're so right. I can't imagine parents of sick kids are immune to this. I feel like the good news is that it does fade a little over time. It used to be every blood draw, every visit, every everything. But its far less frequent now.

February 7, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

Funny thing about the blood draw: my son had his first at 3 years old when we consulted a holistic pediatrician who specialized in ASD. In his office, Noah was subjected to regular blood draws, but the phlebotomist there was this amazing man named Patrick....I'll never forget him because he turned Noah's first draw into a game. From that moment on, Noah would throw out his little arm to Patrick readily and say, "Gimme my super power." His whole life, Noah has never feared blood draws.

February 7, 2022
  • Jackie_ZExpert
    Patient

This is adorable. Sometimes there are heroes out there and I just wish they all had some kind of training on this kind of thing.

February 7, 2022
  • Medical PTSD is something that needs to be talked about more. Many doctors assume that with medications like versed, people will barely remember procedures, and that after years of chronic illness patients develop a "high pain tolerance." I was once told by a nurse "After all this time you'd think you would be used to this." Used to being in pain? Used to being scared witless and having to do something anyway? Used to constantly losing control over my own body? Despite 25 years of my condition I still regularly am anxious in hospitals, convinced that someone will mess up and cause me more pain.

I don't have a lot of advice for this topic, my therapist and I regularly discuss breathing techniques as well as methods of distraction. If I know I'm going into a procedure that I find incredibly anxiety inducing, I will sometimes ask for a medication to make me feel calmer beforehand. Also I find ways to connect me to my body physically. Choices that I get to make that the doctors and nurses don't have a say in. Like I dye my hair purple. Or I put in my good luck star earrings. Or I paint my nails like a rainbow. Anything to remind me that no matters what's happening TO my body, It's still me in here.

February 14, 2022
  • Wendy_LExpert
    Care Partner of Adult

@celiafairbanks05 So beautifully said. I agree that medical PTSD is something that needs to be addressed as my son certainly suffers from it too.

February 14, 2022
  • RonPatient

I’ve been suffering from this for decades. Most, if not all of comes from being sick as a toddler, I’m 43 now.

i would even call it “medically molested.” Not as in the medical staff were predators. They were just doing their job but a 3 year old being “probed and prodded” left a permanent mental scare on me. This was back in the 80’s.

November 12, 2022